Monday 22 August 2011

Tonight, more than ever, I am reminded of an old song I used to love. I can't find the lyrics anywhere, but it's about a woman who moves to the countryside (I think the outbacks of Australia since the singer is Rolf Harris), far away from her friends, her family, and the city life that she loves. She's writing a letter to her old school friend, Narelle. The tone of the verses is brave but sad, but my favourite bit is the ends of the choruses where the music rises...

But oh! Dear Narelle, I wish you could be here
When the rain finally falls, and the country turns green
And the wind moves the hills in an ocean of grasses
And the gulleys sing loud with the song of the stream.

And oh! Dear Narelle, you should be here at sundown
When the easterly breeze hunts the heat from the day
And the stars shine like diamonds in a sky of black velvet
And I'm glad that my city life's far far away...
And the moon shines as softly as a far away bushfire
And I'm glad that my city life's far far away
I'm glad that my city life's far far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment