Friday 22 July 2011

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen

...or, more appropriately, if you can't stand the heat then don't do heavy physical work at the equator. Yesterday, we went to build drying stands and dig rubbish pits for rural villages. I was having great fun doing the digging, even though it was very tough because the ground is so hard and we only had really heavy hoes. But when we'd almost finished digging the hole I suddenly went very dizzy and nearly threw up - it seems I got dehydrated. So for most of the afternoon I had to sit around feeling pathetic and useless while everyone else did useful stuff. It was very frustrating because when I sat or led still I felt fine, but as soon as I moved I felt like throwing up. Also apparently I looked drunk whenever I tried to walk around!

Late in the afternoon I recovered enough to go and watch the school's football and netball matches. They name the teams after continents and Europe won the netball, yay! On the way home we passed a group of children who were thrilled to shake my hand, so I stayed with them and did some dancing and silly games for a bit. They were incredibly cute.

Late last night I had another wave of feeling ill, including being very cold and shivery at one point. I was kind of worried I might have a fever but I went to sleep and felt much better when I woke up. Still not well enough to walk anywhere though, so I couldn't go to the lesson I was meant to be helping in this morning :-(. At lunchtime I felt a bit better though, so I headed down to the school and helped Muhoozi with some chemistry and some physics. It's frustrating how much physics I've forgotten! But we managed to work through some problems together, like balancing equations in chemistry and specific heat capacities in physics.

The house I'm staying in has solar panels on the roof, but obviously they only work when it's sunny. In theory we're linked up to the Ugandan power grid as a back-up, but the transformer's broken so that's not working. Since it was cloudy yesterday and rainy today (and I mean *really* rainy - the saying "It never rains but it pours" is so true here!) we've had no power in the house. Luckily the laptop that the Chinese volunteers brought along has a really good battery!

We volunteers have a new favourite saying - "TIA" which stand for "This is Africa". For example, yesterday just before the football match we drove to a nearby town to attend a meeting. When we got there, we found that nobody was at the meeting because they were all going to a funeral. But nobody had thought to phone us and mention this! TIA. Also, at the end of the football match, some of the guys were having a kickabout and they were joined by a herd of cows. TIA.

I'm curious about how many people are reading this. Comment and say hello?

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading! Sorry I haven't commented before - I'm just useless. And now your blog has lost my draft and I've to start all over again... heyho!

    Sounds like you're having a fabulous time in Uganda, for which I am very happy - apart from the whole collapsing thing. *hugs* Stay in the shade more? Or buy a hat with a huge floppy brim?

    The school sounds wonderful as well, and they all sound so eager to learn :) Don't worry about forgetting physics - I daresay I've forgotten far more! What's specific heat capacity again? Looking forward to hearing about progress on any sort of mentoring scheme.

    Also am just generally amused at the concept of not educating girls because they'll just go and get pregnant. It's all such a different culture and outlook.

    I have been a far less exciting life - volunteering at the Red Cross Bookshop (I got to play with the till! And sell people things! And move books around!), and now in London for the weekend. Got a phonecall yesterday to say that they'd like me back for a second interview, and they've sent me a case study to look over and prepare - modelling the cashflow of a prospective oil company for a bank, so the bank can see whether it would be worth lending the startup loan. So I've spent this morning researching taxable profit, operating profit, depreciation, and other such long words, and building a spreadsheet. At lunchtime, I was $110m in debt, but I lowered the interest rate, and am doing a bit better now! It's nice to have a project which makes me think again. :)

    Anyway, I'd better go and think some more, but I'm glad you're having such a fab time, and keep writing. And buy a hat!

    Love Rachel xxx

    PS - if you do still want guitar strings, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. So glad there's a guitar for you - God really answers prayer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M HERE AND READING ALL OF THE THINGS!

    Hope these dehydration spells don't persist and you can have more sciency fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hullo, I'm reading! :) I have another friend working in a school in Ghana at the moment, so it's very interesting to hear the news from both ends of Africa. This post reminded me of her latest update:

    "We're in a small classroom, 11 children each at their own desk, scribbling away at a question in their maths exam. Silence reigns. I'm wandering among the desks reading questions for those who need help. Suddenly, I hear a clucking noise coming from the cupboard at the back of the room. No one else seems to react to this noise. Confused, I walk over and open the door, and find a small black chicken sitting on the bottom shelf, on top of a variety of books. It carries on clucking, and casually stands and jumps out of the cupboard; still no one reacts. I look closer, and see that it has laid an egg on an English textbook. I look for the chicken, and find it pecking pupil's toes and wandering around the room. Still no reaction from the children - they casually look at it, then carry on with their work, no cries or excitement. Then even more bizarrely, the chicken walks back to the cupboard, jumps back in and settles down on top of the egg. I look at it, bemused, as it begins clucking earnestly at me. One child whispers "Madame, close the door" and as I do the clucking subsides and silence reigns once again."

    TIA. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooooo. Parma Violets xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying reading your blog and missing you wifey!

    ReplyDelete